Methodist College is now the only school for girls owned and managed by the Methodist Church in Sri Lanka. The school was founded in 1866 by Miss Catherine Scott, a devout British missionary. In the early years the school served girls who resided in the village of Kollupitiya. The present students numbering over 2000 are from all parts of the country.
Methodist College is a microcosm of Sri Lankan society being multi-ethnic, multi-religious and multi-linguistic in composition. The College bears witness to the fact that there could be unity in diversity and that diversity has a richness of its own. The two National languages Sinhala and Tamil are used as media of instruction, while English is a compulsory link language for all. Students at Methodist College belong to families and backgrounds which represent all rungs of socio-economic ladder.