It was in 1874, when Methodist College was still very “young”, that the Hostel was started. This shows that even at this early stage the need was felt for a boarding establishment. In 1883, when Miss. Scott, founder and first Principal, left the school, there were thirty-two boarders. The original accommodation soon became inadequate, and from the early years of the 20th century a project was formed for the construction of a new Hostel Building. In 1920 the women’s Auxiliary Society in England made a grant for the proposed Hostel building, and the foundation stone was laid in March 1921. But this was only the beginning, as more money had to be collected locally through appeals made to Old Girls and friends of the school. The architect in charge was Mr. William Claessen. At last, in January 1922, the dream became a reality and the new Hostel was officially opened by Sir Graeme and Lady Thompson. At this ceremony there were ladies officially representing the Methodist Mission, the various communities, the past principals, the staff and students of the school, and of course the students were present. In May of the same year, the boarders went into occupation of their new building, which was spacious, and full of air and light. How proud they were!
Click on the thumbnail for a larger view >>
The first Matron to be appointed was Miss Keegel, a strict disciplinarian, but remembered with affection by her charges. Through the years that followed, other “Hostel Mothers” – Mrs. Kelaart, Miss. Modder, Mrs. Don, Miss. Bained, to name a few-continued to inspire both mistress now has her own Sanctum, while the Staff Room has been enlarged. Though play-space is limited, the children have climbing frames and a mat-slide, presented to the School by Miss. H. Ondaatjie, a former teacher, on which to work off some of their energy. Further evidence of the growth and maturing of this Section of the school had been seen in recent years. From quite early in its history, it had its separate “Tuck-Shop” arrangements. Today it has its own Inter-House Competitions in Speech, Solo Singing and Group Singing, and its own cadre of prefects, who early learn the lessons of duty and discipline. The children of the 1st and 2nd year classes – earlier “babies” in coloured frocks – now wear the regulation school uniform with their own distinctive green rosettes instead of school ties.
Yet this section of the School, though housed in a separated location, remains very much “one” with the rest of the School , and many students look back to their years in “Framjee House” as a happy and fruitful beginning of the school career.